Detox Smoothie … Why?
In January, when talking about food, nutrition, or any other topic, all conversations end in “DETOX”. Moreover, it’s the beginning of the year and we’ve also made resolutions: things we’re doing or want to do. The “detox” word is often amongst them. In my individual case, usually, it’s top 3.
I am not in favor of very restrictive regimes because they leave me in a bad mood, plus, it’s cold (in the northern hemisphere) and I really need to eat.
Pineapple Helps In Detox!
The alternative that I found is to favor foods that help the body eliminate the excesses of Christmas by their nutritional composition. One is pineapple.
I’ve always liked pineapple, even the sour ones. I just do not love peeling it. Therefore, I often end up buying the ready to eat package – peeled and without the center. Not the most sustainable, I know… Nobody is perfect!
Delicious And Nutritious Ingredients
This detox smoothie combines several fantastic ingredients for this season and for our great detox goal:
Pineapple is rich in bromelain, an anti-inflammatory enzyme, and facilitator of digestion; soluble fiber normally associated with promoting healthy bowls; vitamin C, with all its antioxidant action and fantastic protection from colds; among others … It’s really a “super-food”!
Spinach is also an excellent source of antioxidant nutrients, plus a good dose of folate, a B-complex vitamin that helps protect against anemia.
Spirulina is the source of protein here, but it also has other important nutrients, such as a good dose of potassium, calcium, iron, vitamin B6, and vitamin E. It has a strong taste of sea … you should start with a small portion and increase it as you get used to.
Baobab, on the other hand, has a fresh taste and also has lots of vitamin C.
Lastly, banana is excellent for the nervous system, blood pressure, and energy!
Here’s the recipe:
Pineapple Detox Smoothie
- 2 slices of pineapple
- half a banana
- 1 teaspoon spirulina
- 1 teaspoon baobab
- 1 cup baby spinach
- Optional: some mint leaves
- 1 glass of coconut water, coconut milk or almond milk (always without sugar!)
- I could just say - and it works - throw everything in the blender and blend away ... But it would feel like cheating. Well, if you have a Thermomix or a Vitamix, that's the way to go!
- In my case, my blender is a KitchenAid, it takes a little diplomacy to achieve a smooth smoothie.
- So, I first blend the chosen liquid with the spinach leaves. Then I add the superfoods and the fruit and I'll blend again. This time I start at an average speed and increase to the maximum, which results in a velvety texture and makes the bubbles that you see in the photo.
Rushed mornings? Do you enjoy smoothies?
You’re going to love this FREE ebook. Power Smoothies: 5 exclusive Glow Chef recipes. Ingenious, delicious and nourishing!